Skip to main content

juxtaposition



“The falling man, do you remember him?” He was a waiter, you say, or a bartender from a floor or a window too high to reach or escape and so, he chose a passable route, from the smoke and flames, and evil and sorrow. “I cannot forget,” I say. He chose to leave by his own will or by his own insanity. And all I can think is, “who could blame him?” and how on that day, and at that time, 9:41 and 15 seconds I could do no more than weep. But he, he walked toward a paradox of certainty and freedom; the choice seizes my comprehension. If it was a choice at all. “I wonder what he thought,” I say, wondering if he thought anything at all, if in that moment of conviction, he experienced clarity or confusion, nirvana or terror. You close your eyes, “…I’m trying to imagine what he thought, the range of emotions; incomprehensible.” Did he have time to think? Did he say, “This can’t be happening?” Did he know? Did he realize? How could he? God, I hope he didn’t realize. His timeless freefall eclipses glass and steel. His swan song an abstract jackknife, sovereignty amidst submission. Windows and beams form the drab stripes of a distressed flag, reflect and absorb Autumn’s light and Hell’s darkness, and he balances between. Midair he transforms from a mere man to emblematic, enigmatic American man. Those, who presumed to know us, who sought to destroy our groundwork, only pushed us to reveal our mettle.  “He did it his way; he took control. In the moment he left that window, he became free…”  I conclude, but inside no way resolved. “I like to   believe    that,”    you    said.























The falling man turns through the air like a drop of rain released from full clouds. One of hundreds unnamed, he, the one suspended by film, held in God’s hand midair, infinitely above the hardened Earth below. Like Keats’ lovers, both seized and embraced by time and art. He shunned oppression by Evil like 40 others would, and flew toward Heaven by walking out of  Hell. Did you gasp for breath when you surfaced from the holocaust? Did you curse, “My God, why have You forsaken me?” or did you pray for forgiveness, or for mercy, or for deliverance? Did you recall your first baseball game, your dry cleaning ticket, that boy from school, your mother? Your children? Did you have children? Did your mind implode and rain inward soothing and cleansing as you descended from the sky? Did you laugh with irony at the inconsequential? Classified paperwork and ashes. In this photograph you hover, as if in limbo. You appear posed and poised, composed though we cannot see your face, can we? Did you wonder what the news would say, or if anyone would even notice? Did you know that we noticed? Do you feel us even now, our collective embrace? At what point did you decide? Or did you simply walk forward until you ceased to have to walk at all? Did you think to blame? Did liberation scream from your tongue in silence or defiance? Did despair pound fists into thighs, rip nails into cheeks, or did you relax into acceptance? While some marched, some stood, some crumpled within, but you declared, “In life as in death    I am an American, and I am  free.”






















Comments

  1. I don't feel certain that this poem is complete today, but it is certainly timely today. I am inspired and horrified by the photo of the falling man, as much now as I was ten years ago.

    I chose the concrete form to reflect the physical presence of the Twin Towers. The poem's construction includes two columns of 55 lines,totaling 110 lines--the number of floors in each tower.

    I considered posting the photo which inspired my thoughts, but chose not to--in fear that an unsuspecting reader might be frighted by the image. The photo, taken by Associated Press photographer Richard Drew, is easily found in Internet photo galleries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Carrie, thank you for sharing. I often think back to that day...to the lives lost in such unfair ways. I think of the impact forever left on our Nation and I so often look back at the photographs from the events of 9/11. I find myself in tears...normally with an empty feeling in my stomach causing me to weaken in my knees and find my children to hug them. God bless...and I highly respect so much about you. This is a beautiful tribute to that man and his choice in life...and in death.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Shepherd

            “Damned coyotes.” Clifton Ellis followed the blood trail from the sheep shed with no hope of finding the stolen lamb. The ewe bleated, unconsoled. In a terrified frenzy, she’d trampled the lamb’s twin during the coyotes’ last visit. Now, she was alone within the flock.

When Daddy Came Home

I hate the card aisle. I stand in indecision among other people who either won't move or will move but apologize incessantly for being in the way...I'm one of those people too. Choosing a card stresses me out (period). Father's Day is the worst. I shop early--with the holiday shift--you know, when last week's burned out worn and faded dated and out of style holiday goes from 50% off to a full fledged smileyfaced ROLLBACK of 75%--and the springyfresh bedazzled NEW holiday glides in. I know, these are just cards. But there are also words, and words, words are everything. Everything.

the things I'll never understand part I

Aidan was sixmonthsold. It was a hot July--no rainfull respites. It was hot, and relief came only indoors and in the shade. I love theme park food. Pickles--bigandoverpriced--funnelcakes--spaghetti with twohugemeatballs....somewhere behind Pompeii, across from the wax roses and cut crystal....Busch Gardens, Williamsburg. If I was going to sit, I might as well eat too...and why not catch a show while we were at it? It was one of those situations in which the show didn't really matter--it could be mud wrestling, and we weren't going to move. The seats and the shade and the cold drinks felt good--the spaghetti too, and Aidan contented himself in his stroller--Hallelujah! All things bright and beautiful--cooler too. The show was a song and dance review...imagine any theme park amphitheatre, add some flashy costumes and you've got it...my mom loves these things (smile). Okay, I'll admit it, I kind of like them too....only, I'm jaded, so I pretend to play it cool. I p