Skip to main content

wish you were here

When I was a little girl, and sometimes even now, I would lose my compass and tilt ever so slightly until my shoulder drooped and bumped against the person standing beside me. As a child, it was often my sister whom I fell into. She'd forgive me, give me a shove or a budge, and we'd be okay, she and I. I berated her, negated her, envied her, pittied her, pinched, hugged, winked, poked, brushed, loved, charmed, swarmed, hit, bit, lept with, crept with, rolled, bowled, and scolded her. We dreamed a thousand dreams out loud on our backs in the darkness with our eyes wide open and our lives soaring clumsily with the nightbugs above our heads. I could love her and hate her and she'd be my big sister just the same. She gave me skater boys to hang with, Zepplin and Pink Floyd to roll with, and fireflies to light the world....



Copyright © 2011. Carrie Ellen Campbell. All Rights Reserved. http://carriellencampbell.blogspot.com. Please respect Carrie's intellectual property. Sharing blog posts is permitted, but no part of this material may be copied, downloaded, reproduced, or printed without express written consent. Contact Carrie at: carrieellencampbell@icloud.com.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shepherd

            “Damned coyotes.” Clifton Ellis followed the blood trail from the sheep shed with no hope of finding the stolen lamb. The ewe bleated, unconsoled. In a terrified frenzy, she’d trampled the lamb’s twin during the coyotes’ last visit. Now, she was alone within the flock.

When Daddy Came Home

I hate the card aisle. I stand in indecision among other people who either won't move or will move but apologize incessantly for being in the way...I'm one of those people too. Choosing a card stresses me out (period). Father's Day is the worst. I shop early--with the holiday shift--you know, when last week's burned out worn and faded dated and out of style holiday goes from 50% off to a full fledged smileyfaced ROLLBACK of 75%--and the springyfresh bedazzled NEW holiday glides in. I know, these are just cards. But there are also words, and words, words are everything. Everything.

the things I'll never understand part I

Aidan was sixmonthsold. It was a hot July--no rainfull respites. It was hot, and relief came only indoors and in the shade. I love theme park food. Pickles--bigandoverpriced--funnelcakes--spaghetti with twohugemeatballs....somewhere behind Pompeii, across from the wax roses and cut crystal....Busch Gardens, Williamsburg. If I was going to sit, I might as well eat too...and why not catch a show while we were at it? It was one of those situations in which the show didn't really matter--it could be mud wrestling, and we weren't going to move. The seats and the shade and the cold drinks felt good--the spaghetti too, and Aidan contented himself in his stroller--Hallelujah! All things bright and beautiful--cooler too. The show was a song and dance review...imagine any theme park amphitheatre, add some flashy costumes and you've got it...my mom loves these things (smile). Okay, I'll admit it, I kind of like them too....only, I'm jaded, so I pretend to play it cool. I p